Ken Macklin is a California-based freelance artist illustrator known for his comics and computer games work in the 1980s and 1990s. Ken created several images for the Bubsy series and is revered for his Maniac Mansion box art for Lucasfilm Games LLC. In 2017, VGArc.org interviewed Ken and asked a few questions about his Maniac Mansion art.
Ken created several notable comic book covers during the 1980s independent boom including covers for Albedo and Critters, both titles being very well known for quality content, including the earliest Usagi Yojimbo appearances. His cover to Critters #4 appears to be a reference to Michael Whelan's iconic Elric paperback cover, Stormbringer. Ken also provided well-regarded covers for the Dreamery and other independent titles for Eclipse and other publishers.
OVGA has included below Ken Macklin's full known box art catalog:
- The Eidolon (Epyx, Inc. | Apple II, Atari 8-bit, Commodore 64, ZX Spectrum | 1985)
- Temple of Apshai Trilogy (Epyx, Inc. | Atari 8-bit, Atari ST, Commodore 64, DOS | 1985)
- Maniac Mansion (Lucasfilm Games LLC | Amiga, Apple II, Atari ST, Commodore 64, DOS, NES | 1987)
- Bubsy in Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind (Accolade, Inc. | Genesis, SNES | 1993)
- Bubsy in Fractured Furry Tales (Atari Corporation | Jaguar | 1994)
- Bubsy II (Accolade | Genesis, SNES | 1994)
- Super Bubsy (Accolade, Inc. | Windows | 1995) Repeat image
Beyond his box art, Ken has contributed art to several video game projects, including numerous background paintings used in-game for the 1995 DOS game Shannara, based on the fantasy novels of the same name written by Terry Brooks.